Thursday, February 19, 2009

Litterbug


Litterbug = my pet peeve! And by golly was I peeved yesterday.

So, I was driving west on 1st avenue in St. Pete talking to my Dad on the cell phone (I know, I know, but he was in the hospital) and I was following behind a cab, taxi, whatever you call it. (Is there a difference?) Anyway, I see this cab driver arm come out and throw trash out the window! I could not believe my eyes.

As I am talking to my Dad I am fishing through my purse (phone on sholder now) trying to locate a pen to write down the cab's licence# when it dawns on me I could just hang up and call because the phone number of the company is on the vehicle!

So I call them and say I want to make a complaint about a driver. They asked "what did he do?" I explained the driver is throwing his trash out the car on 1st avenue and littering the city downtown. They asked if I could identify the car. I said that I could because I am behind it in traffic right now and gave them the car#, licence plate info, make, model & color of the vehicle although I suspect they are all white with the black bat logo.
He said "OK" but it just didn't feel like enough dialog to me so I asked him if the company was going to take responsibility for the trash. I believe the question surprized him but he said yes and assured me they would look into it.

Do you believe there is a chance in you-know-where that they sent that cab driver to pick up his/her trash?

I took this photo from the web site and blocked out the faces because I have no idea who was in that cab - I was behind him/her. I asked a coworker who used to be a St. Petersburg police officer if I had called the police instead of report littering if they would have come. She said it has been a long while since she was on the force but that it was unlikely. She said the police would probably have to witness the littering to write a ticket.

So basically there is no recourse unless the cab company follows through on it's word :(

3 comments:

tina said...

Florida is probably different than here, but we have a litter control officer. They probably won't cite him, but with enough complaints they might. Also here you can press charges yourself. It is a $500 fine and picking up litter as punishment if convicted. Our guy is pretty good but it still comes down to folks like you. You at least took a stand and that is good.

FoxyMoron said...

Dirty litterbug. And he was also driving on the wrong side of the car, AND the wrong side of the road. ;)

Julie said...

Well, at least you put the squeeze on them. You could follow up with a letter to the owner with all of the details and who you had talked to at the company when it happened, and add a "copy" to the police department...it might at least make the owner talk to the drivers about that kind of behavior!

Diamond

The more observant of you may have noticed that in my last post (Hurricane Irma) I mentioned our two dogs. Yes, we have one less dog these d...