Sunday, April 5, 2009

Green Thumb Sunday

I worked in the garden all day and, as a result, I took no time to buy a new memory card for my camera. So, this Green Thumb Sunday will be a text-only post.

A fellow I used to work with (he retired, lucky dog) offered me some bromeliads from his yard. His were WAY overgrown and screaming for a thinning. I must have come home with 25 - 30 plants - I haven't seperated them yet but I believe they are three different types.

I am determined to make my Bromeliad border work. I did it a fe years ago and some of them didn't appreciate the amount of sun they get. The ones I got today mostly came from deep shade so I will be using them in another area. So I thought I would plant something behind my bromeliads to grow up and give them more shade. I did my research, picked out a couple plants that would work well, and went to the home center. Of course they didn't have what I was looking for so......I bought something else, unresearched, because I am the impatient garden. Got it home and realized it's a water-loving plant. Ugh...........

Anyway, I dug out my border garden, added the new plants, and then replanted the broms I already had. It's looking good and I hope it works! I'm making a committment to my gardening friends that I WILL post a photo some time this week :)

3 comments:

cindee said...

Wow lucky you!(-: That is a lot!!!Another plant that won't grow for me here in burning hell...lol(-: What is shade anyhow? I do have shade just not cool enough for bromeliads (-: Can't wait to see pictures of your new plants!

Julie said...

Can't wait to see!!!!! You hit the Bromeliad motherload!!!

Rusty in Miami said...

I can’t wait to see the results. I also adding more bromeliads in my garden, they are easy plants for our tropical gardens.

Diamond

The more observant of you may have noticed that in my last post (Hurricane Irma) I mentioned our two dogs. Yes, we have one less dog these d...