Saturday, July 11, 2009

Childhood Memories

My friend Julie at "A Succulent Life" had an interesting blog about her childhood doll and its origin. She still has her favorite doll and is taking very good care of it. She also has a link to another site where a blogger shares her childhood doll memories so, since I see a pattern here, I thought I would do the same. Hopefully someone reading this post will join in too!
OK, this is not an actual doll from my childhood - they are long gone. But my childhood fondness for Raggedy Ann & Andy (possibly because they were redheads too) made this handmade patriotic rag doll a must-have for me when I saw it for sale about 15 years ago. She's beautifully made in country shades of red, white, and blue. If you look closely at her right hand (on the left) you may see a piece of stick. There was a flag that broke off. I have tried numerous ways to get that thing back on but it never stays. She is also wearing a "I Like Ike" button.

While she may not be my original doll, she is sitting in my childhood rocker. I had no idea that my Dad had memorabilia from my childhood but every once in a while he drops something on me! About 4 years ago it was this rocker. It was made by the Dixie Seating Company and they are still in business today and still making this rocker. I believe it arrived around my first birthday/Christmas so that would have been December 1958. While the finish is a bit marred, the construction remains perfect.

This photo has Jerry's childhood jointed teddy bear in my rocker. That bear is in danger in our house with two rat terriers who love to destuff dog toys so we keep him way up high on top of a filing cabinet. God help him if he ever falls to the ground :(

1 comment:

Julie said...

OMG, Vickie...I too have such a love of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls!!! I have had a pattern for about 10 years now and never have sat down to try and sew them...( I wish I did'tt hate sewing so much)!

Thanks for your comments about how well I have kept my doll...it really didn't take much...just kept her in a/c and away from playful hands and sunlight!

I was in shock when I saw your little rocker...I re-finished one when I was about 17 years old that looked very similar to this one. I rememeber I sanded it, and repainted it olive green, and then put a dark stain over top and it aged it. It turned out very well, and I can remember how proud my Dad made me feel over it...it was one of those deals where I got a lot of encouragemnet from my parents and then they sort of made over it. It is a very happy memory for me!

Thanks for showing your dolly, and chair. Hope Jerrys bear stays safe!!! LOL>