Thursday, March 10, 2011

Let Them Eat MORE Cake

Another birthday at work this week (two in one week) but this time I decided to make a cake. This was a MEAN cake.

First, I used brand new cake pans and they stuck! One layer actually broke as I pried it out of the pan :( I finally gave up on having a perfectly level and symetrical cake (as if I have ever had a perfect one) and just concentrated on keeping the crumbs and the strawberry juice/sauce on the inside of the frosting which, by the way, was way too soft and hard to form good flowers/stars.

I took a beginning cake decorating class about 30 years ago at Frederick & Nelson (anyone remember the HUGE kitchen shop they had in the Seattle store's basement back inthe 80's?) and I still have a collection of decorator tips I pull out every few years. Last night I broke down and bought a few more tools because I do enjoy cake decorating although I'm not well-practiced at it, yet. And, I sometimes watch those cake decorating shows and am in awe of those folks who make it look a lot easier than it really is.

1 comment:

Julie said...

This one turned out really pretty! Was there significance to the colors??? I wish you lived closer and we could do cake decorating classes together!!! Then eat them all!!! Yeahhhhh!!! Hehehe...

Diamond

The more observant of you may have noticed that in my last post (Hurricane Irma) I mentioned our two dogs. Yes, we have one less dog these d...