Thursday, November 4, 2021

Muscovy Updates

In older posts I introduced a Muscovy I call Brokewing. The neighbor who took him into his backyard calls him Handsome. He's been in the neighborhood (we have two ponds) since he was born here in 2018 because he cannot fly due to angelwing. Sadly, the neighbor moved away. Since the neighbor left he was being fed but the ponds have been drying up due to no rain. I've been buying mealy worms for him and a neighbor two doors away from the pond has been giving them to him. Sadly, he hasn't seen Brokewing in days. It is possible that the old neighbor came and got him and relocated him but if he did it was his first time back in the neighborhood without informing anyone. He did say he was looking for a place for him but the neighbor moved to Boca Raton which is on the opposite coast from here. Fingers crossed Brokewing is in a good place because he really likes to be around other Muscovy.




Brokewing (AKA Handsome) Summer 2021


Brokewing was a daddy again this year. He had two females stay with him in the front pond this spring and, as a result, this mama is raising 16 babies. They are a lot bigger now but I don't have a recent photo. I heard the other female was killed on the busy road by Brokewing's house. There is a definite age gap in this brood of chicks which has me believing that 12 belong to this mama and that 4 may have come from the other mama. They come to the pond by my house in the evening and spend the night there. I don't believe any of them can fly yet but I do think the oldest ones are getting close.




No comments: