Sunday, January 6, 2008

911 Emergency

Yesterday I was forced to purchase a new cell phone. I dreaded it because of having to learn how to operate a new one but the newness and upgraded features have me forgetting how the old one worked now.
Anyway, Erica and 2 yo Sarah were over yesterday and she was playing with my old cell phone. The battery was still charged in the device but there was no SIMS card so the phone had no information to call anyone - or at least that is what I thought. Sarah had a "look" on her face and handed me the phone. I thought I heard someone speaking when she handed it over but it was silent when I got the old phone to my ear. I asked "hello, is someone here?" The response I heard was "I am a 911 operator, what is your emergency?" I quickly apologised and said a 2yo had dialed the phone. The operator seemed Ok with that. Whew... For the next 10 minutes, I kinda listened for sirens with one ear.

After the incident Erica looked at the phone and saw that "SOS" showed on the screen and that Sarah must have pushed the only button under the SOS prompt. Apparently you can still dial for emergencies even if your phone is unprogrammed - good to know.

1 comment:

The Spin Studio said...

Nora did that too - only despite Zoya telling them everything was OK they still paid a visit to the house 'to just check on things'. Zoya and I contemplated taking his picture for the blog, but thought he might have not liked that too much. We did post a blog entry on the whole incident, but i can't remember what month it was. I gather it happens frequently. Patrick