Saturday, February 9, 2008

Christmas nails

Aunt Hellen is back! I went to mom's last night to set up a wireless internet connetion so H could use her laptop and for Friday night girl's night out. Mom worked late and we were on the phone with Verizon so long that I ended up spending the night insted of driving home at 9:30 last night. What a slumber party!

With our bellies full of Mexican food from a quaint little restaurant in downtown Dunedin, we surfed the net looking for just the right resort offering just the right spa treatments for our upcoming weekend getaway. We really wanted Daytona Beach because H hasn't seen the Atlantic, and the drive looks very doable, but we couldn't find anything available due to some NASCAR event - who knew race cars were so captivating.

Today I met Mom & H at a nail salon to use the gift certificates Mom gave us for Christmas. I've never had a pedicure before and frankly was dreading it all week. I'm a little funny about my feet. In fact, when I was younger I used to say if Playboy ever asked me to pose naked (as if) and I did it (even less likely than Playboy asking) that I would have to wear socks in the photo because I wouldn't want everyone to see my feet! Oh gosh, it donned on me some foot wierdo could see this blog - oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Anyway, it was the longest 30 minutes of my life - I equate it to a visit to the gynacologist. For the first time in my 50 years my cuticles were manipulated in some manner (cut, scraped, something foreign). Blood was drawn and stinging occured. It was a squirm fest for me. That big chair with the whirlpool had a back massager but what it needed was a seat belt! Mom kept telling me to relax and Aunt H was saying "find your happy place". As uncomfortable as it was for me, I just can't imagine what the nail tech was thinking. Luckily she spoke Vietnamese so I will never have to know.

Once that trauma was over and the swelling was subsiding, I followed her to the table where they cut, grind, and color your fingernails. I am a purist and prefer naked nails but since everyone was getting fancied up today I went out on a limb and decided to get some clear polish (what a daredevil). The tech was hard at work improving perfectly good nails.

Vickie

1 comment:

Julie said...

Cute "penwa" toes!!! I bet it was so fun at the spa...I have facial massages and glycolic peels at the beauty school near my house...low cost and a lot of fun...I go with a friend. Never have had a pedicure though...must try it one of these days!!!