Monday, March 31, 2008

Coelogyne foerstermanni



Found in Malaysia, Borneo, Sumatra and the Moluccas at elevations of sealevel to 500 meters high up on trees in lowlands and lowland montane forests as a medium sized, hot growing epiphyte with narrow, cylindrical, tapering towards the apex, ribbed pseudobulbs carrying 2 apical, erect, lanceolate, acute, plicate, gradually narrowing below into the elongate, grooved, petiolate base leaves and blooms on an erect, basal, stout, to 16" [40 cm] long, many [8 to 15] flowered inflorescence arising on a mature pseudobulb and enveloped basally by several close, imbricating sheaths and has persistent floral bracts and simultaneously opening, fragrant flowers. from: http://www.orchidspecies.com/coelfoerstermanni.htm

Third photo: Beautiful 1yo Danica whom I understand is very sweet and needing a forever home.

First & second photos: One of the orchids I bought last week. Mine is not blooming and I don't have batteries for my camera (still) so I am borrrowing someone else's photo from the web. sorry, I can't find where I got them.

No comments: