Friday, April 11, 2008

My Pathetic Succulent Garden





It's a bit humid in Florida for succulents but I have had a fascination with them since I was a kid so I try :) These are a few shots of part of my succulent garden but keep in mind that I haven't worked outside yet. It does get better.

Second photo is the shady side of my succulnt garden. Basically my garden is that strip of unusable space between the walkway on the side of the house and the fence. You can see I used pots, stands, and the fence to create different levels.

First photo is an upcoming bloom off this very prickly cactus. I found a piece of this plant in the street in St. Petersburg near the Coast Guard base after someone had done some cleaning of their yard and dropped a piece. My hands were a mess by the time I got home due to the hard to see thorns.

Fourth photo is one of my succulent wreaths. I've had this wreath for about 4 or 5 years. I bought two of them at the Green Thumb festival (annual event every April meaning it's coming up soon!) and have managed to keep things alive but have battled to keep soil in the frame.

Third photo is a closer up of the plants on the ground. My Easter cactus is setting buds but not sure you can see. Look at the red cactus - I bought it from a woman who sells starts from her yard once a year. You should see her yard!

6 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Vickie, your succulent garden is not pathetic at all. It's gorgeous. Wow, your Jade Plant sure is big. I have a few tiny, baby ones. Do you know the name of the pink striped plant in your 3rd picture, the one next to the giant Aloe of yours? It's really pretty.

What a neat succulent wreath. It's one of the many things on my "Things to get" list. Are they difficult to water?

Julie said...

Hi! Found your blog this morning! I am also in Florida, and LOVE succulents! Come visit my blog sometime!!! I keep mine on my front porch and in 4 tire gardens I made out of old tires. It's different, but I love my darn tires!!! LOL. Yours are very pretty! Do I see a ZigZag Cactus in your collection??? I want ot get one of those...they are so neat!
Julie

Julie said...

Hi Vickie- I live in Palm Beach County! I actually have a source for a peice of that zigzag cactus...you are so sweet to think about rooting it...I am going to be getting some soon! I just think it looks so awesome! BTW, I have a chihuahua named Lullabelle...you probably saw her on my blog today! I am madly in love! I love the Clearwater area...and the Gulf coast!!!

My Little Family: said...

Third photo, the interestsing red cactus. Turns out not a cactus at all - is a bromeliad. LOL

Kelly said...

I love your story about finding the piece of cactus and bringing it home. Such dedication! I was wondering if the humdity made it more difficult to grow succulents. Do you have to be especially careful not to overwater them?

My Little Family: said...

Yes Kelly, I blame the humidity for everyone I have killed :) I tried to access your blog but it says it's private. Hope you return to read this.

Vickie