Monday, May 26, 2008

Birds of a Feather

My old quilt guild in Kodiak had a tradition for members who were leaving the island. That member got to pick out a block and everyone in the guild was asked to make one to give to the person leaving so they could make a memory quilt. When I left I selected five different paper-pieced birdhouse patterns so members could chose the one most appealing to them. It took a couple years for my blocks to make it from Alaska to Florida, so I was very excited to see them and to read the names where members had signed their blocks. I'm attaching photos so you can see just how creative and beautiful they are! Why I am bringing this up now? Because I am finished with school, sorry no Master's degree here, and I am finally going to do something with them. I received 18 blocks so I think I will make a few more (in fact, i've already started on one :) I'll post updates as I make more blocks. In the mean time, enjoy little snippits about my quilting friends!

Look at the fun colors of the house on the upper left. It is unsigned so I do not know who to brag on. The upper right block is one of the two blocks made by Vicki. Thank you so much for thinking of me and making such nice blocks for my memory quilt. Peg made the block on the lower left. Peg is such a a sweet person - I owe her many thanks for many things. I am not sure who made the remaining block (bottom right) because it is unsigned but I do know it was made by a creative person. Just look at the topical color selection! Plus, she titled it "the loud neighbors down the road". I think she had Florida in mind when constructing this one.

Only one quilter chose this style so I am going to make more of this one. Thank you, June, for the block. It's made from fun Debbie Mumm fabrics which I love. June is a meticulous craftsperson and I miss hearing her stories about spending peaceful summers at fish camp.

Kate used some homespuns and some fabrics that I love and own myself in the block on the top left. Kate's a gardener and every year helped me with my hanging baskets. She has such a gentle voice and nature. The top right was made by Tempe, a journeyman quilter. I totally expected a block from Tempe to have red in it because it is a beautiful color that she uses often. Tempe gave so much of her time and herself to the guild - she's an inspiraton. The bottom left block was made by Amanda - the youngest person in the guild at the time. This block is so well executed that I am sure she is an accomplished quilter now. The block on the bottom right is unsigned but so fun with the cheeries and the bees!

The block on the upper left is unsigned. Too bad too because I would like to tell that person thank you fro the beautiful fabrics she selected. The photo doesn't do it justice. The upper right block was made by Sandy. It has a special little greeting written on it too! Sandy used her favorite color (yellow) to make this beautiful block. Sandy is the person who taught me how to drive a stick shift it that gives you any ideas of her patience level! The bottom left block is unsigned but I have to say that I LOVE the feather fabric - how appropriate! The bottom right block is from Rae Jean. She used some very nice fabrics from her stash. I followed Rae Jean as guild president and have fond memories of her sense of humor and pink flamingos.

I am sorry, I have no idea why some of my writing is in hyperlink but I shall go on. I was able to fix some of it. The top block is another made from Debbie Mumm fabrics which I purchased/used alot when I lived in Kodiak. Vicki made a beautiful block. The bottom left block has a very Alaska theme made by Diane. Diane was generous and shared her baby with the guild - let everyone get their mommy fix without actually having a baby, LOL. The block on the bottom right was made by Gail who was a long-distance member after having moved from Kodiak a year or two earlier. The guild sure missed her.

The next two are my favorite pattern - the log cabin birdhouse. They were made by two very good friends and both excellent artisans. The one on the left was made by my buddy Jenny (I call her buddy even though she plotted to off my chihuahua) and the one on the right by my friend Martha who has also left the island. I loved visiting Martha's sewing room. I've shared many a lunch with these two ladies.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I was going to try and pick a favorite, but it is impossible! They all sound like such wonderful friends, and people!