Sunday, December 28, 2008

How I Spent My Birthday -or- My Trip Across The Sunshine Skyway Bridge

I spent my birthday traveling today. I had to cross the scary Sunshine Skyway bridge as part of my journey.

It's so high! Can you blame me for getting nervous over this? Actually I did better today - either I am starting to get used to it or my "trick" worked. What trick? I told myself today that since it's scary and you have to pay $1 to cross it, then it's just like a scary ride at Disney or Busche Gardens!

This is what it looks like when you are at the top IF you are in the center lane. For some reason I find the inside fast lane scarier so I ride in the outside lane and you can see over the edge down into the water. Perhaps that's not a good choce???? Oh, don't worry - I didn't photo while I drove. I got these photos from Wikipedia.
This is what greated us at Aunt Flossie's house. She has a beautiful salmon color Christmas cacus in prime bloom. She said she had two but due to overwatering she now only has one.
Here's today's photo of my Dad and his sister Flossie. She lives in Arcadia which is about an hour and half away from us. Dad will be spending the week there. I wil pick him up next Saturday. He spent Christmas with us and will spend New Year's with her. They were already making plans when we were leaving. if you happen to be in DeSoto county Florida this week and see an 80 year old man and a 92 year old woman driving in a big car, look out! They are up to no good, LOL.

I loved the ambiance in Aunt Flossie's front room. The combination of the Christmas lights and pig lights created a nice light and mood. It was sort of a pink/peach glow which is one of my favorite colors. I just KNOW my complexion looked good in those lights so it was hard to leave ;)

But leave we did. On the way home, mom and I stopped at Prime Outlets in Ellenton to spend some of my Christmas & birthday $$$. I had this big wad of cash and felt like I was on "What Not To Wear" as I tried to be super critical of cut & fit to ensure that I would wear the items I bought. Too often it's "good enough" and then I only wear it once or twice. It was hard to shop smart instead of settling. I spend about half and bought 3 pairs of pants, 3 tops, 1 dress, and a suit jacket. I truly felt like Stacy & Clinton were over my shoulder telling me something was nice but not right for me. Serious shopping is hard work!

2 comments:

Rusty in Miami said...

I know what you are talking about, that bridge is not for sissies and when is windy is very scary

Julie said...

It's OK...we can maybe meet up another time. I am so tired now...I canceled the trip I was planning to take with my daughter for window shopping at Bueno Vista and checking out all the lovely holiday hotel lobbies at Disney tomorrow. LOL. I am a walking zombie at this time. LOL. We will go antiquing locally tomorrow for a short while, and then come home for a long nap every afternoon while I have the next 4 days off (finally)!!!