Monday, September 5, 2011

Sarasota, part 1

Mom & I are in Sarasota visiting my Aunt Flossie - she is 94 and recently broke a hip and then developed pnumonia while in the hospital. While she's weak, I found her in much better condition and spirits than I would expect for a 94 year old with these medical issues. We decided to spend the night here and visit her again this morning before heading back home.

Last night we had dinner at Da Ru Ma. I couldn't resist the name! Jerry & I used to eat at a restaurant of the same name when we lived in Anchorage. I believe it was our special place although we never really declared that title. We often went there after one of us had been traveling and it was out first meal back together. The Da Ru Ma here offers Teppenyaki and it had a Vegetarian Hibichi dinner so I was happy. Full and happy.


OK, I've mentioned that I am not a great photographer and I don't seem to be gretting any better with practice so the photo above may look strange with the confusing shadows. This is a photo in the ladies room at Da Ru Ma. The sink stands were twisted bronze schulptures, possibly of mangroves, and the basins were some sort of metal. They were actually quite stunning and deserved a better photographer.



My family, bless their hearts, has been cocerned about me finding something to eat when we go out every Saturday night. I think they are having much more trouble adjusting to my vegetarian diet than me! lol.......anyway, here are two examples of just how easy it is to eat vegetarian even if the menu does not offer vegetarian dishes (other than salads). Above is my dinner from Rumba Saturday night - side of garlic mashedm, sauted veggies, and black beans.


My plate from Golden Corral last Saturday - cornbread stuffing, green beans, corn, fried cabbage, mac & cheese, and pinto beans. Yummy southern cooking!




It was raining hard yesterday so I had to pass on some local photo ops but hopefully today I can get some interesting shots of Sarasota to share.

1 comment:

Julie said...

We were over in Sarasota a few weeks ago..it is a neat place!!!