Monday, January 30, 2012

Angraecum sesquipedale & Paper Whites

Even though it's winter and cold and snowy in many parts of the country, it is fun to have a couple winter bloomers around the house. My Angraecum sesquipedale (front, left) seems to bloom a little later each year. I remember a Christmas bloom the first year and a New Year's bloom another. With the treatment they got this year, I am lucky it is blooming at all. Bad gardener.


The paper whites (right, behind) are from one of those gift box things that I received for Christmas. It came with the pot, the bulbs, and this flat disk of potting medium that when you soak it in water, it becomes huge! Basically it fills the pot. We had a bit of a cold snap about 3 weeks ago so I planted the bulbs and put the whole thing in the garage hoping for some "chill" to get the bulbs started. It worked! They are so tall now and buds are forming so I thought it was time to bring them in - don't want to miss a bloom.

No comments: