Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Lesser Known Memorial

I made it a point to visit the Original Patentees Memorial while in Washington DC. Compared to the famous and impressive Washington, Lincoln, Vietnam Veterans, etc. monuments and memorials it does not seem like much; however, it means something to me because one of my "assumed" ancestors' name is on it. I say assumed because I got the information from others and have not yet proven it myself.

The monument located on the ellipse and is a granite shaft next to the sidewalk on 15th street between Constitution and Avenue and E street across from the Department of Commerce. The monument was erected by the Daughters of the American Colonists in 1936 to commemorate the 18 owners of the 10 square miles donated to create the National District, a capital for a new country.

The wide base is covered on three sides with the patentees names and one side explains the reason for the monument. Each side of the upper shaft is decorated with something representing colonial bounty - a turkey, corn, fish, and tobacco.

Me posing by the monument


My relative is first one listed on this side


That's the commerce building you see across the street



No comments: