Sunday, November 3, 2019

Halloween 2019 Costume

For years I've wanted to wear a 920's flapper girl costume for Halloween dress up. Making the dress seemed like it would be very time-consuming and expensive. This year was the year to do it! Actually, to buy it.

Yup, I usually make my own costumes but this I bought all of it. In fact, I bought three dress, accessories, wigs, and shoes. Gotta love Amazon because I was able to try on at home and send back what I didn't want. All I added from my own closet was the black shoes (not period correct but nondescript enough to pass) and the shorter string of faux pearls. The headdress, long pearls, cigarette holder, pearl bracelet, gloves, feather boa, fishnet stockings, art deco earrings, and fringed dress - all from Amazon.

I'm posing with the Director of the Department at work. Funny story, the costume she wore was a costume she made for her grown son when he was still in high school. She had a photo of hi wearing it and it was funny to compare (exactly the same everything).

So, of course, I was sick of the wig before the night was over. I can't seem to keep wigs on as they want to creep up in the back and then eventually that causes them to creep up in the front. But I was a trooper and even wore it outside to give out candy to the kiddos.

This year I would say we had a maximum of 200 kids when we usually have about 250 but that may be because it was a school night. We gave out candy, crispy rolls (a healthy snack), dog treats, and bottled water.

We had cases of water from our hurricane stores sitting in the garage. I didn't think of putting it out early enough to get it iced down but even hot, we gave away over 120 bottles of water. I really thought it would mostly be adults but the majority of takers were the kids. Oh and I told each kid to pick a piece of candy (it was on a wicker tray for easy visibility) AND take a healthy snack.

Not as many people had dogs with them this year but the kids took the milkbones home for their own pets. How sweet.

If you would like to see the You Tube video of the costume try on, click below!





No comments: