Sunday, October 11, 2020

Shopping Cart Handle Cover

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic I have made about 70 masks for friends and family. Some of the early ones were a bit privative due to a lack of supplies. I had PLENTY of fabric but notions were makeshift. There are tons of YouTube videos on making masks (including mine) if you are interested. But, I have switched up my sewing to making covers for shopping cart handles since our stores have stopped sanitizing them between customers (things are pretty much back to normal around here except for social distancing and masks).

For your convenience, I am adding my Amazon Associate links to the products used. Full disclosure, if you use my link to order I may receive a small commission.

Hook & Loop Tape
Fusible Fleece
Omnigrid Ruler
Olfa Rotary Cutter
Large Cutting Mat
Cut & Press Mat
Magic Clips
Multipurpose Clips
Clover Turner

I'm developing this pattern as I go and this is my first prototype. I decided to let my supplies and tools determine the measurements so it's easy - the fusible fleece is 20" wide and my ruler is 6" wide so 20" X 6" it was! But you could make longer, shorter, wider, or thinner, depending on the shopping cart in your favorite stores. Here's what I did on first attempt.


Velcro product. This 3/4" was wide enough to be sturdy but I am thinking a 1/2" would work well too.


Instead of traditional interfacing/web, I found a fusible fleece which just sounded more sturdy and would create a thicker layer.


I measured 6" - same as my ruler.


And cut the entire length of the product.


Next I cut a strip of the hook/eye velcro type material to about 18". This was the hardest decision in the entire process. You could probably do it with less but I thought this length might prevent the corners from flipping up. Time will tell.


Next I cut two pieces of fabric the same 20" X 6". You could do both pieces in the same fabric but then it won't be reversible. I choose a summer and a fall fabric because I am way to seasonal. 


The cut pieces. I did end up skimming off a tiny bit off the sides of the fusible fleece thinking it would reduce bulk in the seams and/or turning process but I don't think it made a difference. I would probably have to go for it and take a good 1/2" on the length and width to clear the seam allowance. Maybe next time I will cut the fleece smaller than the fabrics for ease in turning and flattening seams.


I laid the fusible fleece, adhesive side down, onto the BACK of one of the fabrics (wrong side). 


The package calls for a pressing cloth but I just used the other fabric and laid it on top of the fabric + fleece pieces.  It worked fine.


I pressed according to the instructions. It ended up with some wrinkles that I had to work out. A couple teeny ones were left but covered up with seams and/or the velcro later. Next time I think I will start in the middle and work outward instead of at an end.


Fleece is attached. You can see the fleece is a tiny bit smaller.


I then stacked the two fabrics right sides together and clipped. 


I sewed a good 1/4" seam and left a section about 5" open for turning right sides out. 


Next I trimmed corners to aid with turning them out and I attempted to trim a little more of the fleece off. However, it wasn't easy or very productive having been ironed on. 


It was time to turn it out and get to see my project.


I used a tool to push out the corners and also to push out the seams. It wasn't perfect but they are for shopping cart handles. Plus, I am not selling them. 


I ironed it as flat as possible - did it a couple times. Next I folded in the seam allowance of the area left open for turning and pressed.


I topstitched around the entire piece. 

I cut some of the velcro off one end because it was slanted and it should be straight (at least in my mind).  So I ended up probably with 17" or 17.5" inches velcro strips. Here I am sewing one to the bottom of fabric A. I sewed all four sides of the product and double stitched the ends because they are narrow and figured I would probably be tugging at the corners to get it open.


Next I did the same to the fabric B side with the other side of the hook & loop material. But, before I sewed, I made double, triple sure that when folded over the two parts of the velcro would overlap to catch. I didn't worry if they were both perfectly centered - just that I didn't have them on the wrong side of the project.


This is how it should look when rolled (or folded) the two pieces of velcro match up and close the tube.


The finished piece! It's shown on fabric A but you can fold it the other way and use fabric B.

Like masks, my thought is these should be a one-time use items and should be laundered before reuse. I think I will make several and put them in zip locks so that I have a place to keep used ones rather than loose in my purse. I am also thinking I should make one for each of my re-useable grocery bags that I keep in my car. Ooooh, better yet, I could make MATCHING bags and covers!!


No comments: