Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bomb Scare

Well today was not your ordinary working day. The Church of Scientology reported a suspicious package in the alleyway behind their building. Their building is behind ours (The City of St. Petersburg Municiple Services Center) and we share that alleyway.

This afternoon people started talking about all the public safety workers surrounding our building and speculation was a dissatisfied customer in permitting. Little later got word that they were not letting customers into the building, had stopped all but one elevator, and asked us to stay put on our floors instead of wondering around. This, of course, put people to looking on the internet to see what the heck was up and we learned of a possible bomb threat behind our building.

Shortly afterward we got word that people on other floors had been evacuated, some even coming to our floor. The internet said nearby buildings had been evacuated and it showed photos of a robot near the suspicious package (robot courtesy of the Tampa bomb squad). At 5pm most people high tailed it out of there because they were concerned and wanted to get home. A couple reps had late calls but eventually it was down to me and one other.

I had my stuff together to leave and spoke to the other employee and we decided we would walk to our cars together but I was oging to the restroom while she got her stuff together. I was washing my hands when "BA BOOM!" and I SHOT outta that ladies room and the other person came toward me with both of us saying "did you hear that?" I grabbed my stuff and we left in a hurry. We were just about at my car when I realized in the rush I left my keys behind. She was brave and went back into the building with me to retrieve my keys. We both left safely.

Of course police were everywhere and they were directing traffic instead of using traffic lights. They seemed to want to have everyone moving quickly out of the area. Got home and read that just after 5pm the bomb squad detonated the suspicious package that turned out to be a suitcase with clothing, a bible, and personal items.

The church had just lost their court attempt to get an injunction agaisnt some group protesting them so I see the comments area of the news sites is speculating that they did it to make their point that they were being threatened. I can't help but think it could have belonged to someone in the homeless population - there are lots in the area because of the public park across the street.

On to Friday!
Vickie

images borrow from TBO.com who got from news photographers - first is the robot brought in my Tampa bomb squad. The second is after the detonation.

No comments: