Thursday, March 27, 2008

Not Exactly the Desired Effect


So I bought this gadget that I heard about on Ratbone Chat. It is meant to stop dogs from barking without using a collar (I only use breakway collars on my dogs due to a previous incident with Ed's bottom jaw got stuck under Daisey's collar while they playing and almost killed her, really). Eddie is a very vocal fellow and I live in a neighborhood with restrictions and small yards. Plus, people spend a lot of time outdoors so when my dog barks it annoys people. Worse, when a neighbor's dog barks and makes my dogs bark then everyone including me is annoyed. Plus, there is this little piece-of-work dog that loves to run at our fence and get Edward going.

But, back to the story. So I hear about these devices you can put outdoors that emit a high frequency sound that humans can,t hear but annoy dogs. When a dog barks this sound goes off. I was thrilled! I went to PetSmart right away, picked out the one I wanted, and then discovered I needed a 9volt battery, which we didn't have, so my new gadget christmas-like excitement had to wait a day. Last night I had the device, the battery, and a door that wouldn't open. Finally when hubby finished watching his movie he opened the door on the device and we are in business now.

The thing (pictured) looks like a bird house (Or at least what a human thinks a bird house should look like. I believe a bird sees anything with the right size hole and comparment and at the right elevation as a possible bird house). Anyway, it was night when I put it out and turned it on. As explained on the box I could see the green light flashing. Didn' take long for the rat terriers to bark and I saw the flash of red light from the thing and two dogs trying to figure out what the heck happened! They circled around a little and then went in the house. Because I was outside on the screen porch they eventually came back out. Next bark, same thing only this time they woudln't come back out.

Now it is the next day, still daylight out, and I am sitting on the screen porch and the dogs are inside. They come out to do their business and then it is right back inside. Not exactly the desired effect. Oh well, at least I can enjoy the smell of the blooming jasmine.

Vickie

1 comment:

Donna said...

I've always wondered how those devices work. Maybe they are still adjusting to this new device and will be less wary of it after a few days?