Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Calico Rock, Arkansas & Nearby Historic Area

More photos from our trip to Arkansas. I've always liked this little town on the White River. Two things really stick out about this trip and our drives around the countryside; a) rock buildings, 2) cicadas.





I just have to comment how dangerous this little area is because just past the sign is almost straight down into the river. I think they need a better baracade.


I don't know if you can really see the size of this rocking chair but it is huge. I believe it is for folks to sit in and take photos. Lots of people selling aromatic cedar products.


I should have looked this up to describe what you are seeing in these photos but basically historic buildings where a president even visited to dedicate two local dams.







My Manning ancestors had a similar house in the Hoxie area of Arkansas. By similar I mean a breezeway between different parts of the house. My dad mentioned one time that it allows for natural air conditioning. I've also seen tropical areas where they build the kitchen seperate from sleeping quarters in case of fire. Whatever the reason, I chuckle to think if modern houses were made this way Jerry & I would be locking ourself out just trying to get a drink of milk at night! lol

1 comment:

Becky Sunderman said...

Vickie, I couldn't find a way to privately post to you on your YouTube channel, where I found you posting about your subscription boxes of women's apparel. I have commented on a few of the videos. I just watched your Valentine's Day Fashom unboxing and was very interested to hear your comments on the personal service of that company. I got one box and canceled my subscription, but may go back after hearing what you had to say. I've just had an, um exciting week with Stitch Fix and Dia & Co. representatives, after being continuously disappointed in the boxes I've rec'd from both of them since I subscribed early last fall. The disappointment is accompanied by the same feelings that you expressed. I don't know if you have tried the mixandmatch boxes, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the personal attention they've shown before my first box has even arrived. If you are interested, I can let you know what I think after it does. We share several things in common - quilting, Florida (I lived there for about 10 years back in the 70's, and in many ways wish I'd never left), genealogy, rescue dogs and Arkansas! I am a native Arkansan, from N. Little Rock, transplanted to Batesville, not all that far from Calico Rock, in '95. My husband is still working, at age 84, in the little town of Melbourne east of Calico Rock. I would love to meet you when you come to visit family up here again. This note doesn't belong on your blog, but if you wish to reply, my personal email address is b_sunderman@reagan.com . I have watched your YouTube videos because you are closer to my age than most other women who do the unboxing/try-ons, and I've been curious about the types of clothing you receive. Like you, I dislike polyester, but, Lord it's everywhere, that or rayon, which wrinkles if you even think about wearing it. Enough from me. I just wanted to drop you a more private note, and hope that it is not an imposition or invasion of your space. Becky Sunderman